Online cloud backup services are used by millions of businesses worldwide. Businesses have crucial data that needs to be kept safe. So, cloud backup service providers offer a simple-to-use platform that allows for the safe storage of important data. Backing data up to the cloud is one of the best things a business can do.
But knowing how to pick a cloud backup service is the challenge. If you go to Google and search for “Best cloud backup services” you’d end up with a list of hundreds of providers. So, how can you as a business make the right decision?
Sounds overwhelming right? It actually is overwhelming if you don’t know what you’re doing. Choosing the perfect cloud backup service provider requires you to have some basic knowledge of the industry.
This is why, we’ve created this guide to help you choose the service that works best for your business. You don’t want to be stuck with a service that’s clunky, slow, and unsafe.
Benefits of Online Cloud Backup Services
Let’s begin with the benefits of cloud backup services. You need to know if you even need these services before using them.
Keeping your data protected at all times gives you peace of mind and ensures that you can get data back whenever it’s needed. Some other benefits of data backup and recovery services include:
- You can access any file at any time from any location. Online cloud backup and restore services restore your files quickly. This data process becomes painless.
- Professional assistance whenever needed. Most data backup and recovery software have teams of professionals ready to help you out whenever needed. The software can get you started with error-free data versioning that can’t be done manually.
- Buying backup media yourself is expensive, and you need to manage a lot. This is why you can sign up for online cloud backup services. It will save time, effort, and money.
- With data backup software, you can encrypt sensitive business information and keep it confidential. Helps with keeping data protected and encrypted at a cheap cost.
- With a backup & recovery service provider, you can manage your data in a better way. This frees up your IT teams to focus on other priority tasks.
Online Backup vs. Online Syncing vs. Online Archiving
There’s a difference between online backup services and online syncing services.
An online-syncing software creates a mirror copy of specific files and folders on your device and sends those identical copies of those files to all your linked devices so you can access the data on any device. Instead of making a backup and then storing the data on another device, online syncing services make copies of your data on all the linked devices.
Cloud backup services are simpler to understand. They periodically copy most of the data on your computer to their own cloud servers. In online backup services, there’s a straight connection between your device and the cloud server.
Your data stays on secure servers until you need it. Most cloud-backup services offer huge amounts of storage. For this storage, you have to pay a small subscription fee. Compared to an online syncing service, an online cloud backup service is a much cheaper option.
The cheapest option is the cloud archiving services (Google Cloud). These services let you store your data online that you don’t need right now. This helps you free up data on your device.
Most cloud archiving services are super cheap, but there’s a downside. Some of these services ask for a cost to download these files.
Things to Consider While Choosing the Best Cloud Backup Provider
There are some tips that you can follow to choose a data backup and recovery software for your business. Here are some tips to choose cloud backup services:
1. Go for a Subscription Model
The cloud backup and recovery software should be flexible enough to let you choose the storage you want, size, recovery, and security. For the services you choose, you’re asked to pay a specific amount per month.
With the pay-as-you-go subscription model, you can be realistic about your needs, but you can avoid expenses.
The second thing you should consider most carefully is cost. Without cloud backup service pricing comparison, there’s just no way to find the best service without comparing costs. If you’re getting a service that costs more than any other service, then make sure you look for why’s the cost so high.
Make a list of top alternatives, then choose on the basis of cost.
3. Ease of Use
Ease of use is a crucial factor when choosing the right type of cloud backup software. Members of your team should be able to easily navigate through the cloud backup service. It is important that the service you use is easy to deploy and easier to use.
4. Customer Support from Vendors
Cloud services can also run into some issues. So, you need support from your backup and restore services. Do the service providers offer 24/7 customer support across all geo-locations? Make sure that you check out the quality of support offered by the vendors so you can get the help you need.
Also, your backup software provider should take care of data retention and ongoing maintenance without asking for overhead costs of upgrading, patching, and maintaining it long-term.
5. Data Security
The data backup and recovery software providers you choose should be able to protect your data. Businesses love securing data with a cloud backup service as it cuts down the cost of maintaining a secure server by themselves. You’re taking a backup of your data so it stays secure. The best way to go about this is to check the security certification of the vendor.
Data backed up in the servers should be safe and protected from external threats. Data security practices should be important when you’re choosing data backup and recovery software.
6. Types of Backup
Another factor you need to consider while doing a cloud backup service comparison is types of backup offered. Each cloud backup service has different kinds of backups, including:
- Full System Backup: This type of backup takes a copy of any computer at one point in time, and it includes all the data on the device. This data includes applications, operating systems, and other available data.
- Differential Backup: Differential images back up all the changes that have been made to the live system since the last backup. Subsequent differentials can be taken, but only one full backup is needed to restore all the data on your system.
- Incremental Backup: Incremental backup only stores file system changes since the last image. This last image backup could either be full, or differential. This method is the least preferred by businesses as it takes a lot of effort to restore the backup data to the device.
7. Protection Against Ransomware Attacks
Always consider protection against ransomware attacks while choosing the best cloud backup provider. A lot of cloud backup service providers highlight the level of encryption they offer.
Compare services based on the level of protection they can provide against ransomware attacks.
1. What are the benefits of using a cloud backup service?
Cloud backup services have tons of benefits, especially for businesses. Some of the biggest benefits include:
- Access any file at any time.
- Professional customer support whenever you need it.
- Don't need to buy and maintain a server to store data.
- Encrypt sensitive business information and data.
- Recover lost data within minutes in simple steps.
2. What should I consider while choosing cloud backup services?
There are a lot of things to consider while choosing a cloud backup service. In case you don’t choose the right service, it can lead to troubles in the future.
Here are some of the main things you need to consider while choosing a cloud backup service:
- Does it offer a subscription model?
- Ease of use
- Customer support
- Data security
- Types of backup
- Does it offer protection against ransomware attacks?
3. Is it important for a cloud backup service to have good customer support?
Yes absolutely. Having great customer support is important in case you need help. Let’s say you run into a problem, and you need an immediate fix. If there’s no way to reach out to a customer support team instantly, you’re left helpless.
A great customer support team should have:
- Instant chat support
- 24/7 calling support
- Email support
Make sure the cloud backup services you choose offer all these types of support.
When it comes to choosing a cloud backup service provider, there are several important factors to consider. Here are some tips to help you make the best decision for your business:
- Determine your storage needs: The first step in choosing a cloud backup provider is to understand how much storage you need. Make this calculation based on your current growth, and expected growth in the future.
- Evaluate the importance of your data: How sensitive is your data? Think about the importance of the data you need to store. Choose a provider that offers great encryption and safety to your data.
- Consider your access: How frequently do you need to access your backed-up data? If you or someone on your team needs to access data, then you should consider a provider that gives you easy and quick access.
- Consider your budget: Cloud backup services can vary widely in terms of pricing and plans. You know your budget, so look for a provider that comes under your budget and offers all the expected features.
- Look for advanced features: Depending on your needs, you may want a provider that offers advanced features such as versioning or encryption. Carefully consider these advanced features before making a decision.
- Check the provider's reputation: It's important to choose a cloud backup provider that has a good reputation. Read online reviews, and do some research to see if the provider has a certain standard. Having a reliable provider is crucial.
Test out the service: Before committing to a cloud backup provider, be sure to test out the service. There are some providers that offer a free testing period, so you can see if the service meets your expectations.